Urban decay

January. Time to forget the holiday season and to concentrate on new projects.
I wanted to begin this new year with something different. 

With my camera, I mostly try to capture beauty. From unusual angles, but beauty - little details which one does not see because he or she is looking at the phone or just rushing, and which make this very moment unique at that place.

A couple of months ago though, I saw pathetic pictures of urban decay in bankrupt Detroit (among them, pictures of hope as well). Very good work.
Some of those photos remind me strongly the situation here (by far not as bad as in Detroit of course), so that I felt committed to documenting the situation next to my door. I chose to work with black and white. 
Some pictures may look a bit surrealistic, but they are all very real. No montages, no filters, just the situation as it is - me with my small camera: when windows are dirty or broken and the sun is shining, one does not need any technical means to get some interesting effects ;-)

(All pictures were taken in Torremolinos, except the last two which were taken in Málaga).



































Comments

  1. Sad reality, but great pictures, Chani!
    Best,
    Eli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eli.
      Yes, that's how the crisis has changed our reality... But I want to believe that every crisis is also an opportunity (like in Detroit, where I read that artists could now find affordable places for their studios). And I hope citizens have learnt something form the crisis: that resources are limited, that creativity is not and that education is the key.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Water reservoir in Álora

End of the Year Again