Drawing outside! (I)

I know what I am good at, which does not mean that I do not like to try something new, sometimes. 
I was invited to participate to the project "A Paper / a Day" organized by Kunstwerkt in Gent (Belgium), and after hesitating a bit (I do not know anybody there), I bought a little sketchbook and went for it. After all, it could be the occasion to meet people on the web and to prove that I also can draw ;-)

The idea was to create one small drawing every day - like a diary, they said, max. 10x15 cm - from February 15 until April 1 and to send it to them every day (yes, it is still running). I did not feel like drawing a diary. In my case, inspiration for abstract works comes like waves, not on command. But why not drawing spots of my town (Torremolinos) and surroundings (Benalmádena, Málaga, Mijas)? 
I knew I would find some spots, even if this town has nothing special except of its location on a sunny coast: originally a fishing village that became a pioneer of mass tourism in Europe (I could cry when I look at old postcards...)
But I am convinced that beauty can be discovered everywhere. 

Inspired by my colleague and friend Matt Chinian, I felt excited about the idea to work outside - something I cannot do with acrylic painting as my formats are generally too big and my way of painting makes it impossible. 
But small figurative drawings that I can achieve in three to five minutes, yes, could be performed outside! So, for the first time for years, I had to deal with the problematic of finding a good spot. Something nice to draw and a place where I can stand or sit (even on the pavement). 

Here are my first 15 drawings. All 9x13.5 cm and done with an Indian ink artist pen. Enjoy! 


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water reservoir in Álora

End of the Year Again